This is my invariable advice to people: Learn how to cook, try new recipes,
learn from your mistakes, be fearless and above all have fun! -Juila Child

Friday, November 25, 2011

Mashed Potatoes

After lots of pondering about blogging, I have finally created one that I believe will not only be interesting to family and friends,  but also help me organize all the recipes I have come up with throughout the years.
What promted this idea is that on Thanksgiving my mom decided to call my cousin, she had family there and we thought we could visit with them all on speaker phone. My cousin happily told me she made my yummy mashed potatoes but put too much sour cream in them, thus making them a bit too thin, I assured her I had done that  plenty of times and that I really should have this recipe written down as I usually just throw this or that into the dish all willy nilly; that's what most chefs/cooks do.  Then I thought after I got off the phone with her; how selfish is it of me and all of us chefs to just throw things together in a pot, not knowing exactly how much of this or that I put in there, I should compile all my recipes that are in my head or on ratty scraps of paper here and there and compile them. So this is the beginning of that journey. 
I didn't even realize anyone else cared about or even made those mashed potatoes other than myself, so it's good to know that someone is. So in honor of her, here is the official recipe: 


Laura's Mashed Potatoes
Serves 4-6
6-8 medium russet potatoes, peeled, rinsed and cut into 2" chunks
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 cup sour cream
1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
1/4 cup heavy cream (use half & half or milk if you prefer)
2 TBS butter or margarine at room temperature
salt and pepper to taste


Place peeled, cut potatoes in a large pot, fill water up to about 1/2 inch above the potatoes so they are completely covered in water, add the salt, boil on medium to medium high heat for about 20 minutes or until potatoes are fully cooked through and feel soft when speared with a fork.
Carefully drain potatoes completely with a colander then place potatoes in a large bowl and mash with a potato masher. Mash potatoes until most lumps are gone. Warm up the heavy cream slightly for 15-20 seconds. Stir in the warm cream, butter, sour cream, nutmeg in with the potatoes. Mix all together with an electric hand mixer or stand mixer for about 3 minutes or until potatoes become fluffy and all ingredients are incorporated.
They should still be plenty warm, but if not warm up for a few minutes in the microwave. You may also warm them in the oven in a covered oven safe dish for 10 minutes on 350° F.
That's it, very easy, fun to make and very tasty!


Check out the Cook's Thesaurus a cooking encyclopedia on line!