This is my invariable advice to people: Learn how to cook, try new recipes,
learn from your mistakes, be fearless and above all have fun! -Juila Child

Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Kari and Laura's Cooking Game

My friend Kari and I have this fun, yet interesting cooking game we came up with in junior high I believe. I don't remember all the details of how this game came about but we would come up with some crazy things. I guess growing up on Florence, Montana, population 1500 or so, you get pretty imaginative.
 My mom, bless her heart would allow Kari and I to make a total disaster of her kitchen, I'm sure she is the the only mom in Missoula and Ravalli county combined that would allow two silly young girls do insane things in her kitchen. 
My mom's usual comments were:
 "What are you girls making now?"
 "It's ok to make a mess in here, but just clean it all up when you're done." 
 "That looks interesting"
 "No, I'm not hungry right now so I won't be tasting what you're making, but thanks"
So, our game was to have my mom take us to the only grocery store in town, to get our ingredients. Once we got to the Economy IGA, lol, what a store;  Kari and I would split up and pick one or two ingredients from whichever isle we went to. Once we got back to the kitchen, we had to make something with the ingredients we each chose, along with whatever else was in the kitchen to complete the recipe.
I believe the most memorable time is when Kari picked out cottage cheese and I chose peanut butter. My mom remembers this one, I think because it may not have been the best ingredients to use together and she may not  have liked the final product. But we came up with Peanut Butter Cakes and I thought they were quite tasty. I still have this recipe on a post it note in Kari's handwriting, which makes this story so cool! There are no cooking temps/times, instructions or anything to complete the recipe, I think we were just concerned about the ingredients at the time. 
So here it is:
1 Egg
1 1/2 tsp Crisco
1 cup flour
2 tsp sugar
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 cup chopped trail mix or chopped nuts
1/4 cup milk
1 tsp vanilla
2 tsp chocolate syrup
4 TBS peanut butter
2 TBS cottage cheese