This is my invariable advice to people: Learn how to cook, try new recipes,
learn from your mistakes, be fearless and above all have fun! -Juila Child

Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Snow!

We finally have snow here! After about an hour of playing in the snow with my 3 year old, I remembered that I have always wanted to make snow ice cream. So we ran inside grabbed some huge mixing bowls, wooden spoons dashed back outside and began scooping snow into the bowls (only the very tippy top layer of snow). And no yellow or discolored snow!
I really don't know how to make snow ice cream, besides what I saw on Paula Dean's show a long time ago. So I thought we could just wing it, how hard is it to gather up some snow and put some goodies in it? So very easy.
After we collected the snow into our bowls, we actually just left them there outside to accumulate more snow while we made a snow man and snow angels. When I began to get extremely chilled I said we are going in! Despite the whining and pleading to stay outside, we came in.
You really have to hurry with this recipe,  I decided to leave the bowls of snow outside in the cold while I came inside to gather all the ingredients together, otherwise the snow would melt as I did this. Plus it gave us a chance to get out of our many layers of clothing. You will also want to have your ice cream bowls, spoons, freezer containers w/ lids all ready to go as well as all ingredients so you can go back out grab the bowls of snow, mix, enjoy and freeze it immediately.
Laura & Lily's Snow Ice Cream
5 cups snow
1/2 cup half and half or cream
3 Tbs sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
Chocolate syrup- optional

Add sugar, vanilla and chocolate syrup if desired to the snow in the mixing bowls and stir until it is all incorporated and the snow has becomes the consistency of ice cream. That's it! You will now want to hurry and scoop it into bowls to eat and/or place into freezer containers to have for later! Also add any other ingredients you like such as peanut butter, Nutella, chocolate chips, strawberry jam or whatever else!